Monday, July 11, 2011

Photographing a Blind and Deaf Dog - Kansas City Dog & Pet Photography

I admit I was a little intimidated when I photographed my first deaf dog and my first blind dog. But, photographing a dog who was both deaf and blind seemed like a near impossible challenge. I mean, I certainly couldn't use my crazy noises and they wouldn't even be able to see me jumping up and down and throwing random things in the air to get their attention either. However, I realized that their sense of smell and touch would most likely be heightened and I utilized those aspects during my recent photo shoot. My latest challenge was DD, the 17 year old Cairn Terrier who is deaf and blind. My dear friend Jen was doggy sitting for her parents and I just happened to be coming over for a visit... and for those that know me well, they can tell you I really am never "off the clock" if I see an opportunity arise for pet photos.

My friend thought I must have altered or edited DD's eyes in this below photo, because she said DD looked like she did a few years ago before she lost her eyesight. I know I am "FixYourImages" for a reason, but I honestly did not edit her eyes. I have to give credit to the beautiful natural sunshine and the Lord of course, who guides me through life and these pet photo shoots.

And here are some other pets I have met along the way who have been blind or deaf.

Carolina - Blind & Deaf


Hailey - Blind


Lina - Blind


Aspen - Deaf
 

Courtesy of www.cesarsway.com
Blind and Deaf Dog
Written by Dr. Sherry Weaver

Q: I just found out that my dog is going to be blind and lose her hearing within two years. She is a very active dog, but I can already see the differences in her behavior because the problems have already started. Is her life worth living after losing these senses?

A: Helen Keller would say yes, life is worth living even with blindness and deafness. Dogs who lose some senses will compensate with their others. She will still have smell to recognize the people she loves and touch to enjoy a good petting. She will still have taste to enjoy a good meal. And with your guidance, she can still enjoy a good run on a relatively even surface on a leash. Depending on the cause of blindness or deafness, often conditions will leave some ability to see shadows and navigate around things, but even if this is not the case, as long as the furniture doesn't move, they usually navigate quite well.

I think the hardest part of living with a dog losing senses is when we see them struggling or bumping into things. I have experienced this with my own dog Einstein, who at 18 years of age has lost most of his hearing and vision, but no one could look at him and say he is not still enjoying life. Remember, as Cesar says, a dog does not intellectualize. She just accepts and enjoys what the world gives her!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.