Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Breed Specific Legislation BSL - The Truth about Pit Bulls & Bully Breeds - Adopt a Pit Bull - Kansas City Dog & Pet Photography

BSL or Breed Specific Legislation... just plain stinks in my opinion.  Various cities can implement BSL to ban or restrict certain types of dogs based on their appearance because they are perceived as “dangerous” breeds or types of dogs.  BSL is almost always associated with Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes.

I know there are probably people reading this who have been blinded and brain washed by how the media negatively portrays Pit Bulls. I admit it, I was one of those people. When I was younger, I was scared of Pit Bulls.  *Gasp*.  I know..... me.... animal advocate and bully breed promoter to the highest extreme....... used to be just like the vast majority of uninformed people who heard the words "Pit Bull" and immediately pictured a menacing, terribly violent breed, ripping someone to shreds by their magical "locking jaws".

Lucky for me, I began volunteering at animal shelters and entered into the rescue world, where I encounter Pit Bulls on a regular basis and finally saw the truth behind the false stereotype that surrounds this breed. I have learned through proper education and first hand experience, that the Pit Bull is not only the most obedient dog I have ever photographed, but one of the most loyal and intelligent breeds I have ever met.  I can tell you I have never met a Pit Bull who did not immediately listen and obey my basic commands and cooperate with anything I asked of them during a photo shoot. I usually breathe a sigh of relief when I hear the breed I am expected to photograph is a Pit Bull.

Now, with that said, please meet Rosie, an adoptable pit bull at KC PAWS. www.kcpaws.org.

Rosie has an extremely sad story. She was found laying in a field in the middle of Winter and was traced back to a rescue in Iowa.  The rescue in Iowa said they now have BSL set into place and could not take her back. So, somewhere along the way, Rosie was brought to KC PAWS since they are a rescue and house dogs in a no-kill facility.  However, it has recently been brought to their attention that if Rosie is not adopted in 2 weeks, she will be taken to animal control and will most likely be euthanized because of her breed. Now, you can see why I mentioned earlier that BSL just plain stinks.

KC PAWS is unable to keep her at their location because they already have many long-term dogs currently, that are not likely to be adopted ever... or atleast for many years. Adding one more long-term dog will eventually effect how many dogs can further be rescued and adopted out.  However, Rosie is very special and being taken away to animal control for a death sentence is just unacceptable.  So, if there is a rescue out there who can handle adding a sweet Pit Bull to their group, please contact KC PAWS. Or if this post touches your heart and you want to adopt Rosie personally, she would certainly give you a lifetime of happiness and gratitude.  Just read the survival story of Patrick the Miracle and follow him on Facebook if you need any more confirmation of how amazing the Pit Bull is. If interested in Rosie, please e-mail kcpaws@hotmail.com or  fixyourimages@hotmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.