Friday, January 7, 2011

The Cake Ball Goodness

The holidays may be over, but I still can't get enough of these cake balls. They are a huge hit and I find myself getting requests for them now. Oh, and every time I finish dinner, I crave a cake ball myself and wish I had a stock of 1,000 already done in my fridge. Wait... maybe that would be a bad idea. In the words of Comedian Jim Gaffigan, "I think your sweet tooth owes your rear end an explanation."

Cake Ball Ingredients
• One boxed cake mix
( I used red velvet with cream cheese frosting or german chocolate with coconut pecan frosting)
• One 14.5 or 16 ounce can prepared frosting
• Almond Bark Chocolate Coating

Prepare and bake the cake mix according to package instructions. (Although just a tip, I use applesauce instead of vegetable oil when mixing up the cake mix. A little something I learned from my Mom.) While warm, crumble the cake into a bowl.


Empty the can of frosting on top of the crumbled cake mixture in bowl.


Mix in frosting in with crumbled cake to make a paste.


Using a melon baller, your hands, or a 1 inch scooper, form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place the balls on wax paper; freeze at least 6 hours. (Anyone else think they look like meatballs right about now?)


Working in small batches, remove the balls from the freezer and flip the balls into warm, melted almond bark coating, using toothpicks or forks or a dipping tool to manipulate the balls. The photo below shows using a pan on the stove is the WRONG way to melt almond bark chocolate. It gets too hot and thick and is just a mess!


I learned (the hard way) that the microwave is the way to go with this Almond Bark madness. I break up half of a package and melt it about 15-30 seconds at a time in the microwave and stir. The key is slowly heating it and stirring it.

Remove the balls. Place balls on wax paper to harden. Makes about 30 balls.

And voila! You are done! Warning: You may eat them all before you have a chance to share them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.