Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Feature of the Week - Disabled Pets - Kansas City Dog Photography

I just learned about the inspirational story of Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog, a Dachshund, whose life was changed after a spinal injury, leaving her paralyzed. Frankie was custom-fit for a wheelchair and has proven that any human or animal can overcome the odds if they have the right attitude and love of life. I believe this story proves that a disability does not have to be viewed as an obstacle, but rather an educational tool to change the lives of others.

From Frankie
After suffering a spinal injury in 2006 (known as IVDD) I became paralyzed. After months of physical therapy I was fitted for a custom wheelchair from www.eddieswheels.com and I've been rolling ever since then! I now educate others that IVDD is not a death sentence. There are many options and resources, such as www.dodgerslist.comI am also pawsitively passionate about sharing my message with children. I love helping them look at their challenges in a positive way, and I especially like helping them understand that there is hope-- not matter what their situation. It is fun to also show them that despite having challenges they can each contribute in their own, unique way to their communities. I love doing this by visiting local schools and virtually visiting anywhere in the world by using Skype to visit classrooms that I can't get to in "dog."

Being a certified therapy dog through Therapy Dogs Incorporated I love visitng Libby's House, Senior Assisted Living (which my 2nd book is about), Sharon S. Richardson Community Hospice and Memorial Hospital. I also make therapy dog visits upon request to other facilities when I can. In 2009 I was inducted into the Wisconsin Pet Hall of Fame as companion dog for all the work I am doing- which does not seem like work- I just love to do it!

My book, Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog has won numerous awards and honors:

*USA News Best Book Award for children's non fiction picture book
*Merial Human-Animal Bond Award from Dog Writer's Association of America
*Editor's Choice from All Books Review
*Indie Excellence Finalist

Frankie's Blog

Frankie on Facebook

Joyful Paws Website

Bookstore

The Books

  • A portion of all proceeds from books will be donated to disabled animal chairities. Now through December 24th, 2010 receive Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog Activity e-book FREE with every purchase.
  • Free Shipping on orders of $35.00 or more.
    (shipping charge will be credited back after check out and items will ship US Postal)
  • Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog magnet is FREE with a purchase of $25.00 or more.

Photo courtesy of Frankie's Mommy, Barbara Techel, an award-winning author, educator, publisher and therapy dog team volunteer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.