Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rest in Peace Sweet Blue Boy - Kansas City Dog Photography

I wiped tears from my eyes when I received a message from my past client and friend that his beloved dog was losing his battle with cancer and it was time to let him go. I only knew Blue Boy for a very short time, while I captured his innocent spirit and bond with his Daddy, but it doesn't take long for a dog to touch my heart. Every dog I meet holds a special place in my heart and I am honored to have met Blue.

When I heard the news, I was taken back to the times I was forced to let my dogs go throughout life. I don't believe our hearts ever truly heal from the loss of a pet. Letting go of a pet was one of the hardest things I ever had to do in my life and I know that emptiness and sadness feels like it will last forever at first. While our dogs lives are not nearly long enough, I believe for the short time they are here, they each make us a better person and teach us many things that only a dog is able to.

I was especially touched by the bond that Blue Boy shared with his Daddy. It was so very clear how much Pat loved his furry friend who is absolutely irreplaceable. Blue Boy was a very special Pittie and he will be missed by many. Rest in peace precious doggy. I know you are no longer in pain and will be watching over your Daddy always. “My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet," - Edith Wharton.

I found this poem below that I felt may bring a little comfort.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We've had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so,
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.-- Unknown

Here is a special video I created for Blue Boy. Just click anywhere in the black square below to play the video. Be sure to have your sound turned on as well. (warning: tears may flow)
video








2 comments:

mom said...

Oh jen what a sad day for his owner. I remember fondly when you took these photos and thought they were just so lovely at the time.I think he will always be kept alive through these wonderful photos you have given them to cherish his memory. I know that he will be terribly mised but never far from their thoughts and hearts. I know this wonderful poem that you have found in memory of him will help to heal his masters heart. This is so moving honey. You found such a perfect poem.

Rebecca said...

Jen,
thank you for all you do for rescues and pitties. I am so honored to have pictures of ours from you. You really are changing dogs lives one at a time. You are amazing!

Beautiful pictures of Blue and his dad...what a wonderful memory!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.