Thursday, December 17, 2009

Remembering the True Meaning of Christmas

It is very easy to forget the true meaning of Christmas during this busy time of year. Holiday parties, baking, decorating, wishing for snow, scrambling to buy presents, etc. I am just as guilty of all of these things as well. I want to remind myself and others that the true meaning of Christmas is love. John 3:16-17 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." The true meaning of Christmas is the celebration of this incredible act of love.

Every year I usually adopt a family though the 98.1 KUDL program. It makes my heart happy to give back to a family who truly deserves it. I feel extremely blessed and fortunate in life and find joy in helping someone else have a brighter holiday. This year I decided to do something a little different. Instead of the impersonal Adopt-a-Family, I asked my photography clients to share a story of someone who was extremely deserving this time of year, for the chance to be selected to receive a free photo shoot, along with some Christmas gifts on their wish list. I received an e-mail from one of my clients who had a story about her friend that truly touched my heart.

The person I chose is the mother of 4 (one child of her own, and current custody of her husband's sister's kids.) Just recently, her parents house burned. She welcomed her parents, two sisters, her brother, and grandmother into her home during this traumatic time. What touched my heart the most is the story about her son. He has always had a gift and special bond with animals. Before the fire, he had seen two of his dogs pass away and because of the fire, he just lost his latest puppy. After all of these unfortunate events, he feels it is somehow his fault and that animals should not be around him anymore. This breaks my heart, as I have always had a special connection with animals, especially dogs, and could not imagine that being broken.

To this family, I will be presenting a one-hour doggy photo shoot, in hopes for the little boy to reconnect with the other animals the family still has and to give him hope when a new doggy comes into his life. I will also be presenting other gifts and clothing that some of the family members need, in addition to an acupressure massage for the mother, who deserves some relaxation.

I encourage you, and not only during the holiday season, to open your heart to help others in need and always be thankful for your blessings in life. You really never know when life could change in just an instant.

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are a really good person Jen. Your sure to have good karma for the deeds that you do.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.